Our Services for First-Time Homebuyers
Homebuying 101 Class
Are you thinking about buying your first home but are not sure where to start? Are you concerned about making the right choices? Join our expert coaches at our next Homebuying 101 class to learn about the ideal steps through the homebuying process.
- Access to a full class and all the informational materials
- Unlimited access to coaching from our mentors
- Access to free supplemental pre- and post-purchase classes
- See our Fee Reduction form for a 50% discount available to low-income participants
- Assess your readiness to buy a home.
- Learn how to qualify for a mortgage and about loan products for first-time homebuyers.
- Understand the responsibilities of credit.
- Meet high quality lenders, attorneys, real estate agents, home inspectors, home insurance representatives, and specialists in lead paint, asbestos, and mold removal, and energy efficiency.
- Understand the legal aspects of buying a home including The Offer and the Purchase and Sale Agreement.
- Find out about financial assistance available including first-time homebuyer mortgage products, down payment and closing cost support and mortgage buy-down programs.
The Road Home Online Homebuying Course
Through our participation in the Massachusetts Homeownership Collaborative, The Homebuying Mentors® offers this online homebuying education course for those who cannot attend an in-person class. This course is eligible for all first-time homebuyer loans, including MassHousing and the ONE mortgage. This is an online course, but there is an in-person session you must attend in order to complete the course.
The online class fee is $100 per person.
- Upon registration you will be emailed the link to the online course materials.
- Once you have completed the online component of the course you must set up an appointment for an in-person group wrap up session. These group sessions are held at our office. We hold one session for those who are early on in the process, which is held from 4:00 to 6:00pm on the third Monday of each month. Those who have a signed Purchase and Sales Agreement can come in on the first or third Wednesday of each month from 4:00 to 5:00pm. You must register for a group session ahead of time to reserve your spot.
- You will receive your certificate upon completion of the in-person wrap up session.
After completing the Homebuying 101 course, you have access to our expert coaches at no additional cost to support and guide you through your personal homebuying experience.
Services include, but are not limited to:
- Establish your home purchase strategy
- Financial coaching
- Referrals to trusted real estate professionals
- Obtain one free credit report with your first in-person coaching session
Supplemental Pre- and Post-Purchase Workshops
Are you are interested in gaining more insight into specialized home buying topics? We offer additional workshops on buying a condominium, understanding if a buying a foreclosed property is right for you, what it takes to buy a home that needs work and more.
To provide you with high quality supplemental education workshops The Homebuying Mentors® partners with The City of Boston and the Massachusetts Affordable Housing Alliance.
Homebuying 102 Purchasing a Condominium: Whether you are considering a condo in a large or small development the key to successful condominium ownership is a healthy association. This class helps you better understand the condo documents, how associations are managed and gives you the details you need to decide if condo ownership is right for you. You will gain insight into how to identify a condo with a healthy association leading to a great condo ownership experience.
Condo Owner 202 or Homeowner 201: Congratulations, you’ve closed and moved into your new home! Join us for these workshops that will help you avoid the pitfalls of the unknown:
- Condo Owner 202 gives you the inside scoop on ensuring you know the ins and outs of keeping your condo association in good health, insuring your home properly and more. This class is essential for years of happy condo living.
- Homeowner 201 is a must for those of you moving into a single family or those of you who are becoming landlords for the first-time.